[sles-beta] static libraries

Thorsten Kukuk kukuk at suse.de
Wed May 28 08:11:12 MDT 2014

On Wed, May 28, Wendy Palm wrote:

> I think this is incorrect.  It's in the libbz2-devel rpm in SLE 11-SP3-SDK.

Static linking, especially with glibc, creates a lot of problems.
The biggest ones are, that dynamic loading doesn't work correct
anymore (which means that glibc NSS modules used by getXXnam() and
similar functions don't function correct anymore) and that you
need to recompile everything for every single bug fix or security
update.
For that reason we decided already 5 years ago to not ship
static libraries anymore for a lot of packages, including libbz2.

  Thorsten