[sles-beta] SLES12B9 - hostname being reset to "linux" on zypper dup

Olaf Hering ohering at suse.de
Mon Jun 23 07:27:15 MDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 23, Darren Thompson wrote:

> Caused a little fun and games with my SLES12 cluster before I realised that
> everything was named "linux" ;-)

Looks like systemd is not well integrated into SUSE Linux. Since many
years /etc/HOSTNAME was the config file for the hostname. With Beta9
that file became /etc/hostname, owned by systemd. Tthe old file was
changed to a symlink. It should have been the other way around,
/etc/hostname should be a symlink to /etc/HOSTNAME.
I hope that change was not a mindless "do what upstream does" change...
At least its not mentioned in the release-notes.

Olaf