[sles-beta] cciss driver for HP hardware

Matthias G. Eckermann mge at suse.com
Mon Jun 23 21:01:00 MDT 2014

Hello Tom and all,

as already said in my last E-Mail about this topic, we
are taking input on drivers also from the vendor of the
respective hardware.

Regressions on this we try to mitigate, and compared to
other recent distributions, SLES 12 has special code in
the hpsa driver to support more of the older
controllers, i.e. more than the upstream driver.

I just realize that this advice is not reflected in the
Release Notes yet (please file an SR!), thus: please
try "hpsa_allow_any=1" as a kernel commandline option.

This will put the hpsa driver in a mode not supported by
HP (and subsequently not us, see:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/scsi/hpsa.txt),
but at least you are able use the device for testing.

I apologize for any inconvenience, but as also said,
this is out of SUSE's control.

so long -
	MgE

On 2014-06-23 T 16:51 -0400 Tom Parker wrote:
> Thanks Matthias.
>
> Why has the cciss driver been removed from the distro?  I assume that it
> is still in the linux kernel.  Is there a reason to deliberately stop
> compiling it?
>
> I am sure that I am not the only person who has tons of older servers
> that still work 100% but will be unable to run SLES 12 because of this
> change.
>
> Tom
>

> On 21/06/14 09:59 AM, Tom Parker wrote:
> > Has the old cciss driver been removed from the kernel?  On my SP3
> > systems I see from lspci that both the hspa and cciss drivers are
> > available for this PCIID
> >
> > 0b:08.0 RAID bus controller: Hewlett-Packard Company Smart Array E200i
> > (SAS Controller)
> >         Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Smart Array E200i
> >         Kernel driver in use: cciss
> >         Kernel modules: hpsa, cciss
> >
> > I will have to test beta 9 on an old server on Monday
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Tom
> >
> > On 21/06/14 06:22 AM, Matthias G. Eckermann wrote:

> >> please see the Release Notes, chapter 4.2.2:
> >> https://www.suse.com/releasenotes/x86_64/SUSE-SLES/12/#Driver_Updates.Storage
> >>
> >> Compared to other recent distributions, SLES 12 has
> >> special code in the hpsa driver to support more of the
> >> older controllers, i.e. more than the upstream driver.

> >> However, unfortunately, the E200i is not among those,
> >> where we can implement this.
> >>
> >> I am afraid, this is out of SUSE's control and should be
> >> brought up with the hardware vendor, who also maintains
> >> the upstream driver(s).
> >>
> >> so long -
> >> 	MgE

Matthias G. Eckermann     Senior Product Manager   SUSE® Linux Enterprise
Phone: +49 30 44315731    Mobile: +49 179 2949448    E-Mail: mge at suse.com
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH  Maxfeldstraße 5          90409 Nürnberg Germany