[sles-beta] [Sleha-beta] Opinion: It's too soon to leave beta and go to RC level

Waite, Dick Dick.Waite at softwareag.com
Wed Jun 25 15:49:33 MDT 2014

Grand Evening,
          I have not run any of our applications on SLES12 yet. I can not get even a simple SLE11-SP3 to Update / Upgrade to SLES12 and until a clean update works, until the new Gnome Display Manager works, until what ever will replace the CRON functions work, until what ever is eating CPU in the Gnome Shell etc etc etc
          Maybe we are odd balls, we don’t use New Installs, we Upgrade and will continue to do so. I’m away from the Beta for a couple of weeks; I’d like to come back to Beta10 that can do the basic functions running on a VMware Workstation, with a Display Manager that works, VMware Tools that work and then maybe we can start to check applications. As we were 99% KDE I think we will have a lot of work to do once we have a stable working enviroment, but you can not start if you can not update working SLE11-SP3 environments without having to throw the bones on the table to see what to try next. If you think x86_64 is an issue try zLinux where we have very interesting issues, but that is for another day.

          Back in a couple of weeks, and that would also be a good reason to keep on Beta. It’s the start of the holiday season in Europe and even if I’m there, the person you need to do “xyz” is with the family by the sea.

__R
Dick Waite
Senior R&D Consultant
Phone:  +49 6151 92-1505
Mobile: +49 171 8393 769
Software AG
Uhlandstr. 12 | 64297 Darmstadt | Germany
www.softwareag.com<http://www.softwareag.com/>