[sles-beta] SR 10884981671

Frederic Crozat fcrozat at suse.com
Thu Jun 26 02:05:16 MDT 2014

Le lundi 23 juin 2014 à 17:08 +0000, Waite, Dick a écrit :
> Grand Evening,
>
>     Update / Upgrade from SLES 11-SP3 to SLES 12-Beta9 running on
> VMware Workstation 10-0-2 x86_64
>
> "SLES12-Beta9. New Install went Okay on VMware Workstation 10-0-2
> Update from SLE11-SP-3 went better but something like "Python-Bonobo*
> needed a hand job. That did seem to work but I had no mouse control
> over the display. I could get into text mode with Cntl_Alt_F2 and I
> took some screenShots. I did try and copy /var/logs/* to a USB but one
> does not "see" the USB. I have noted the VMware update Tools giving a
> lot of nags. Should I try and update VMware Tools or is that part of
> SLES now?"

VMare tools are now part of SLES12.

For upgrade, "default" install upgrade should work out of the box.
Upgrade with SDK or with full installation are still being fixed.

>     I have noted in the past that the Gnome Shell does run with a high
> CPU usage ... My New Install on the above ran Okay, but while working
> on another machine I took some screenshots of the SLES 12-Beta9 doing
> no work but the CPU seems to be very high. maybe that is the way Gnome
> works, ???? maybe that is Okay but that would cost the users a lot on
> pennies eating that amount of CPU on a zlinux. It seem to be wanting
> to do something, but there was nothing to do that I could see. Never
> used Gnome before so bit of a loss as to what diagnostics to take,
> comments very welcome, use KDE would be very welcome ;o)

You are running both top and gnome-system-monitor on the same system you
are measuring, which are causing the compositor to be activate. It would
be better to run top using ssh and check on a "inactive" (nothing
refreshing the screen) desktop, to check if it is using CPU or not. And
you are not giving any hint on which system you are using.

(Hint: try to use a descriptive subject to your email, I almost missed
your email due to its subject).

> __R
>

>      Software AG – Sitz/Registered office: Uhlandstraße 12, 64297
>  Darmstadt, Germany – Registergericht/Commercial register: Darmstadt
>       HRB 1562 - Vorstand/Management Board: Karl-Heinz Streibich
>      (Vorsitzender/Chairman), Dr. Wolfram Jost, Arnd Zinnhardt; -
>    Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr.
>              Andreas Bereczky -http://www.softwareag.com

Frederic Crozat
Project Manager Enterprise Desktop
SUSE