[sles-beta] default btrfs subvolumes under / in SLES 12

urs.frey at post.ch urs.frey at post.ch
Mon Jun 30 04:21:13 MDT 2014

Hi
I get a bit confused seeing /home and /tmp also under the btrfs tree in context production environment.
In a production environment /tmp must be an independent filesystem and partition, because you never know what users gonna place on /tmp and possibly filling the filesystem.
And /home I certainly do not want to snapper undo changes, because this is in each user's very own competence if one deletes, or copies of whatever. As system admin I wil newer undo in yast for some specific user files under /home.

>From production admin context /tmp and /home are really out of btrfs scope and should be treated as data spaces.
RPM and zypper will certainly never use /home or /tmp in context of a possible undo changes..
But in case you have a single user installation it might make sense to have everything under btrfs.

Best regards

Urs Frey
Post CH AG
Informationstechnologie