[sles-beta] Question: Migration tools for ISCSI config from SLES11

Lee Duncan lduncan at suse.com
Tue Jul 8 15:16:02 MDT 2014

On 07/07/2014 02:43 PM, Darren Thompson wrote:
> Lee
>
> From an "end user" perspective, the default tools are what YAST defaults
> to, in this case they have changed from SLES11 to SLES12.

First of all, I believe many end users do not use Yast. Certainly the
"power users" do not. But that is a side point, is it not?

I was not aware that Yast developers decided to switch the back-end
target they wanted to use.

> Secondary question: How are we to upgrade a SLES11 server offering ISCSI
> resources to SLES12 without loosing all our ISCSI configuarions (This
> would require changing al the clients as well).

During upgrade, if the system is using stgt, it will continue to work.
But it looks like Yast will no longer be able to manage it.

Some users will wish to continue using stgt if it "just works", rather
than trying to migrate their data and configuration.

There would be several steps required to move from stgt to
lio-utils/targetcli:

- Must move the target configuration, including:
  - IQN
  - ACL (access controls)
  - target portal group number
  - back-end storage

- Must either move the data from one store to another, or must use the
same back-end store (better). But not all back-end stores supported by
stgt may be supported by lio-utils/targetcli -- but let's hope not.

Since the SLE 11 SP3 yast code knows stgt, it should be able to extract
all of this information, since it already has to do this to manage these
targets.

And the SLE 12 code already seems to grok lio-utils/targetcli, since it
chose to use this for a back-end.

So creating a migration recipe should not be too difficult.