[sles-beta] RC1 NRPE Package (nagios)

Matthias G. Eckermann mge at suse.com
Fri Aug 8 09:43:55 MDT 2014

Hello Simon and all,

On 2014-08-08 T 13:52 +0100 Simon Flood wrote:
> On 08/08/2014 13:36, Matthias G. Eckermann wrote:
>
> > Similar to the nagios-plugins (which have been
> > renamed to monitoring-plugins), the nrpe stuff will
> > be renamed to monitoring*nrpe-*.
>
> > Unfortunately both nrpe packages where missing in
> > SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 RC1, they should
> > become available again in RC2.
>
> So where is Nagios (and associated packages) itself?
> It was in SLES11 SP3.
>
> All there are in SLES12 RC1 are various
> monitoring-plugins-* packages.

That's on purpose.

Let me put it this way: nagios in SUSE Linux Enterprise
Server 11 is a package we did not put much focus on nor
any "love" into. It is there, it is maintained, it's
aging; it will remain in SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11
as fully supported, but that's it.

For SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 we thought how we
could improve the situation for the monitoring
framework, well, the server part of it. For example, we
got requests for Icinga.

Thus, starting with SUSE Linux Enterprise 12, we are
replacing the Nagios server with Icinga. Support for
Icinga will not be part of the SUSE Linux Enterprise
Server 12 subscription, though.

Instead fully supported Icinga packages for SUSE Linux
Enterprise Server 12 will be available as part of a
SUSE Manager subscription. In this context we will be
able to deliver better integration into the monitoring
frameworks supported by SUSE Manager, and more frequent
updates on the monitoring server parts than it had been
in the past.

Hope this explains.

So long -
	MgE

--
Matthias G. Eckermann     Senior Product Manager   SUSE® Linux Enterprise
Phone: +49 30 44315731    Mobile: +49 179 2949448    E-Mail: mge at suse.com