[sles-beta] Thinking about SLES11 migration testing, BTRFS and sub-volumes?

Darren Thompson darrent at akurit.com.au
Tue Aug 19 18:01:44 MDT 2014

Matthias

Thank you for a truly comprehensive answer.

I'm still unclear on one point though...

I believe an "in place" update from SLES11 => SLES12 is tested and a viable
option (please correct me if I'm incorrect).

That leaves the default ext3 file-system from SLES11 so you miss out on the
SLES12 roll-back advantage (as you have clearly explained).

I was under the impression that there was a straight forward process to go
from ext3 => BTRFS but I now see that there are a lot of "prerequisites"
that may be more difficult to meet.

Assuming that the SLES11 => SLES12 is done in one step and the ext3
file-system is migrated as a separate process, is there actually a guide as
to what steps are required to achieve that e.g.
{this is a guess at the process}
1. Boot from SLES12 media and go into "recovery mode"
2. Using appropriate tool make backup copy of '/', '/boot' and any other
required file-systems.
3. Create appropriate BTRFS root filesystem using command line 'xxxx" which
creates required '/' and "default' sub-volumes (including snapshots).
4. mount BTRFS '/' and sub-volumes in temporary location, restore backed up
'/', '/boot' and other file-systems to new BTRFS file-system.
5. Chroot into BRTFS '/' and restore bootloader config etc **** or remount
root filesystem *** Not sure of this part....
6. Reboot
7. setup snapper config etc

Is this close to correct and is it worth testing as a Beta tester???

Regards
Darren

5.

Darren Thompson

Professional Services Engineer / Consultant

 *[image: cid:image001.jpg at 01CB7C0C.6C6A2AE0]*

Level 3, 60 City Road

Southgate, VIC 3006

Mb: 0400 640 414

Mail: darrent at akurit.com.au <steve at akurit.com.au>