[sles-beta] iSCSI Boot (with be2iscsi) fails after changing default boot option

Tom Parker tparker at cbnco.com
Mon Aug 25 14:30:08 MDT 2014

Hello

I installed SLES 12 RC2 today on an HP BL420c server with be2iscsi
offload cards (HP FlexFabric FLB554) and iscsi boot.

They show in the BIOS as:
04:00.2 Mass storage controller: Emulex Corporation OneConnect 10Gb
iSCSI Initiator (be3) (rev 01)
04:00.3 Mass storage controller: Emulex Corporation OneConnect 10Gb
iSCSI Initiator (be3) (rev 01)

The installation went cleanly as did the first reboot.  I then decided
to set the server to boot into XEN by default and ran yast2 bootloader
to change the setting.

I then restarted the server and got. "No system disk or disk error" and
a PXE boot process.

Has anyone else seen this?

I have now repeated the installation again and got the same result:

My installation steps were

PXE Boot and install over HTTP
Setup iSCSI disks (everything was autodetected from the offload cards)
Setup network with eth0 and eth1 enslaved to bond0 and a static ip on bond0
Configure Software (remove Gnome, add Xen Virtual Machine Host Server)
Disable Kdump
Set Default Target to Text Mode
Install...

The first reboot after install works properly but the network settings
are mangled by the bridge config (unrelated to the boot problem but
still a serious bug) and wicked won't start.

I then run yast2 bootloader
  - Bootloader Options
    - Default Boot Section -> "SUSE Linux Enterprize Server 12 (RC2),
with Xen hypervisor"
  - OK

shutdown -r now

No disk detected and PXE boot screen...

I will now do my 3rd clean install and file a SR...

Tom