[sles-beta] btrfs & tooling

Jeff Mahoney jeffm at suse.com
Sat Sep 27 09:55:49 MDT 2014

On 9/24/14, 7:19 AM, Christoph Schumacher wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi Christoph -

> I lately tested RC2 with focus btrfs, subvolumes and tooling.
>
> I was disappointed to see, that there still are a load of issues
> open to especially quota and tooling with btrfs as i mentioned
> before. - grp-quota seems to not work at all (i already discussed
> with our SE)

I'm not sure what issues you're referring to here. Can you elaborate?

> - human readable quota-size list does not exist

Are you referring to the btrfs qgroup show output? Yes, this could be
better. While the output presents all the information correctly, it's
not easily translatable by the user. It would probably be more helpful
to map the qgroups to subvolumes where possible. As far as the columns
go, they correspond to the number of bytes referenced by a subvolume
(rfer) and the number of bytes referenced exclusively by a subvolume
(excl).

> - df ....still no hooks for btrfs quota/subvolumes

How would this information be presented? There is no direct mapping in
the way there is for LVM volumes. All subvolumes share a common
storage pool unless otherwise restricted. There's no way to determine
how much space a subvolume occupies because the space referenced by it
can be a mix of shared references and exclusive references. So we
could present 'used' on a subvolume basis, but if you added up the
'used' space across all subvolumes, we'd end up with a number that
could be much larger than the size of the file system.

> ...at this point my testing stoped...
>
> As long as the only option is to just create an entire diskvolume
> (without lvm) because of the bad subvolume handling, i see btrfs
> not in production stage. As soon as lvm enters the stage, i see no
> gain in btrfs.

Btrfs subvolumes and LVM subvolumes are different and this is by
design. Sure, you can make a loose analogy by using dm thin with
snapshots, but the usage/mapping knowledge is still at the block
layer. Btrfs subvolumes offer dedupe, reflink copies, and a number of
other space-saving operations.

- -Jeff

> [...]
> production (at least the OS part)?
>
> *Dipl.-Inf. Christoph Schumacher* FAI5 Competencecenter Dezentrale
> Server Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG Porscheplatz 1, D-70435
> Stuttgart Zuffenhausen Telefon:  +49 (0)711/911-23729 Fax:
> +49 (0)711/911-23171 E-Mail:
> christoph.schumacher at porsche.de
>

> From:        Christoph Schumacher
> <Christoph.Schumacher at porsche.de> To:
> sles-beta at lists.suse.com Date:        28/05/2014 14:00 Subject:
> Re: [sles-beta] btrfs & tooling Sent by:
> sles-beta-bounces at lists.suse.com
>

> Hi Richard,
>
> Honestly it'll be a mess to dismiss "df" for a lot of people,
> especially the guys coming from any UNIX.
>
> As i mentioned: on my beta7 install the commands you issued do not
> work well or hard to read:
>
> For example btrfs fi df shows a lot of information and it's hard
> to filter at a glance.
>
> btrfs qgroup show does not work for me at all....what's the quota?
> have a guess!
>
> # btrfs qgroup show /tmp qgroupid rfer       excl -------- ----
> ---- 0/5      16384      16384 0/257    2359185408 2359185408 0/258
> 16384      16384 0/259    102576128  102576128 0/260    16384
> 16384 0/261    16384      16384 0/262    16384      16384 0/263
> 97067008   97067008
>

> * Dipl.-Inf. Christoph Schumacher* FAI5 Competence Center
> Dezentrale Server Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG Porscheplatz 1,
> D-70435 Stuttgart Zuffenhausen Telefon:  +49 (0)711/911-23729 Fax:
> +49 (0)711/911-23171 E-Mail:
> christoph.schumacher at porsche.de
>

> From:        Richard Brown <rbrown at suse.de> To:
> sles-beta at lists.suse.com Date:        28/05/2014 13:53 Subject:
> Re: [sles-beta] btrfs & tooling Sent by:
> sles-beta-bounces at lists.suse.com
>

> Hello Christoph,
>
> I'm afraid I can't answer all your questions, but I'll take a stab
> at a few that I believe I know the answer to
>
> On Wed, 2014-05-28 at 13:39 +0200, Christoph Schumacher wrote:
>> - on subvolume with limits/quota df always shows the size of the
>> parent volume also for all subvolumes IMHO it should either show
>> the limited size or not show the subvolume at all because it's
>> only disturbing
>
>> - also after "mirroring" a btrfs with a raid1 df shows the sum of
>> both volumes in the btrfs despite the real size
>
> Because of the nature of how btrfs works, df isn't the best tool to
> use
>
> btrfs has it's own tools for the purpose, such as 'btrfs fi show'
> which shows you the raw disk usage, and 'btrfs fi df <filepath>'
> which will show you the equivalent of df, taking into account
> things like btrfs RAID, for the subvolume selected by <filepath>
>
>> - i can't figure out how to show the quota of a btrfs volume
>> easily and clearly ..... what the common known btrfs-tools show
>> is cr....not good.
>
> 'btrfs qgroup show <filepath>' where <filepath> is a location for
> your btrfs volume/subvolume, should give you the information you

Richard Brown, QA Engineer