[sles-beta] [Sleha-beta] [ANNOUNCE] SLE 12 is Gold

Waite, Dick Dick.Waite at softwareag.com
Mon Oct 20 06:13:43 MDT 2014

Grand Day Frederic,

Many Thanks for the update as to what is supported on what. Having two slightly different environments, SLES and SLED does give, well does give us more issues than what it's solving? We like to have a SUSE environment on x86_64 that can be either SLES or SLED. Could one have the two SLES iso's and the two SLED iso's enabled? If one could then I think that would be a grand step forward. Not having to check before you use the Linux environment would be very good. I can understand there could be a cost item, as per windows, but if one took cost out can one run with all four iso's enabled?

Just to say another Thank You to John, I now have quite a few VMware machine running SUSE 12-GMC2 and with VMware tools running with all features that we need running well. We will now start testing SAG applications and building with the new environments and looking forward to passing on our findings to SUSE. I will just say to anyone wanting to update SUSE 11-SP3 to SUSE 12-GMC2 one must follow the steps given here and in the release notes.
Uninstall VMware Tools
Run an update, when you at the prompt to add/remove software, ADD open-vm-*, then continue the update. If you don’t do this you can find yourself with SUSE 12 enviroment you no keyboard / mouse
When you have a SUSE 12 GMC2 your happy with. Uninstall open-vm* and then run the VMware install tools to give you back the environment and then run the "vmware-reinstall.pl" which after some prompts will re-build the kit with the new kernel and compilers.
I have done this on a number of SLES 11-SP3, I have done none with SLED, and they are running very well, with shared folders.
__R