[sles-beta] One last Post in this Beta SLES12

Jiri Srain jsrain at suse.cz
Fri Oct 24 03:50:46 MDT 2014

On 10/24/2014 11:39 AM, Simon Flood wrote:
> On 24/10/2014 09:53, Jiri Srain wrote:
>
>> For the time being, the release notes of SMT11-SP3 have been updated;
>> the on-line version went live before the maintenance update of SMT
>> itself was released, see
>>
>> https://www.suse.com/releasenotes/x86_64/SLE-SMT/11-SP3/#id303181
>
> The first sentence "SMT can talk to only one registration service (SCC,
> NCC, alternatively also SLMS)" would seem to confirm that we need one
> SMT for SCC (so SLES12 plus anything else registered via SCC) and
> another SMT for anything NCC (i.e. OES). Is this my correct interpretation?

Yes. If you need to serve both SLE12 and OES (or, in general, products
which are available on SCC only and products on NCC only), you need two
instances of SMT, one configured against NCC and the other one
configured against SCC.

> If so, I'm guessing that means separate instances of SMT on separate
> servers (physical or virtual) rather than a second instance of SMT
> running on an existing SMT server.

I don't understand what you mean "a second instance of SMT
running on an existing SMT server"

> PS what is SLMS that is referred to in section 4.1 of above docs?

SUSE Lifecycle Management Server; our solution for providing maintenance
updates for custom-built images; it is part of the SUSE Studio (formerly
Appliances Toolkig).

Jiri

Jiri Srain
Project Manager
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.                            e-mail: jsrain at suse.com
Lihovarska 1060/12                            tel: +420 284 084 659
190 00 Praha 9                                fax: +420 284 084 001
Czech Republic                                http://www.suse.com