[sles-beta] SP4 Beta2 preliminary test results

Beddingfield, Allen allen at ua.edu
Tue Mar 10 12:35:12 MDT 2015

So, I’ve done a few fresh installations of SLES 11 SP4 Beta2 (x86_64):

For the most part, all looks good, but I’m just getting started testing.  The addition of “open-vmtools” is a welcomed addition in our datacenter!

No errors/problems on install, aside from sshd not being set to start up, as was described in the release notes.

I was able to configure a system against our LDAP with no issues.

I was able to Install the Tripwire Enterprise agent with no issues.

I was able to get the Zabbix monitoring agent to work with no issues.

I as able to add the system to SUSE Manager 2.1.x.  The 11/4 repos don’t exist, so it complained about that and obviously couldn’t add the “spacewalk-client-setup” repo.  Otherwise, it added and worked.

There were a couple of issues:

First issue:

On boot, after firewall initialization, the following error is seen repeatedly:

“WARNING:  The state match is obsolete.  Use contract instead.”

Second issue:

This one has actually existed in every release since SP1 (was not an issue in 11.0 and 11 SP1, but is also an issue in SP2 and SP3).

Details/steps to reproduce.

VMware VM has a disk layout as follows:

/dev/sda1 /boot (ext3, 1GB)

/dev/sda2 swap (4GB)

/dev/sda3  / (XFS, 55GB)

In VMware, expand the size of the virtual disk from 60GB to 80GB.

Boot VM from SLES 11 SP4 Beta 2 disk

Select “Repair Installed System”

Select “Expert Tools”

Select “Start Partitioning Tool”

Select the “+” to the left of “Hard Disks” to expand the list

Select the “+” to the left of “sda” to list the partitions

Select “sda3”

Select “Resize”

This produces the following error:  “Partition /dev/sda3 cannot be resized because the filesystem seems to be inconsistent.”

This will work to resize if booting from a SLES11 SP1 disk, but not 2, 3, or now 4 Beta2.  Is this something that could be corrected in this release?  It can be reproduced consistently 100% of the time.

Allen B.

--
Allen Beddingfield
Systems Engineer