[sles-beta] SLES11SP4 x86_64 on VMware

Mike Latimer mlatimer at suse.com
Wed Mar 25 08:17:20 MDT 2015

On Wednesday, March 25, 2015 01:51:26 PM urs.frey at post.ch wrote:
> Hi
>
> Just updated from SLES11-SP3 on VMware online to SLES11-SP4
> Looks good. Thank you SUSE.

Thanks for the follow up, Urs!

> Issue with forced installation of open-vm-tools got resolved
> Please do not misunderstand. I am not against open-vm-tools.
> But having an entire platform already installed and running ESXi VMwareTools
> it is not possible, to remove VMWareTools when doing service pack update.
> This would be a too deep change which would have to be tested with all
> specific applications first. There is simply no time free to do so. So
> having a service pack update which does not bring much "visible" changes,
> this is much easier to implement and getting accepted by production staff.
>
> Leaving the option to choose open-vm-tools for new installations, gives me
> the freedom to carefully evaluate and introduce to operations staff.

I'm glad to hear the new version is matching your expectations. I think there
are valid points on both sides of this discussion, but not automatically
installing open-vm-tools is definitely the safest approach - and consistent
with our original intentions for SP4.

Thanks again for the follow up.

-Mike