[sles-beta] SLES 11 SP4 Beta3 - s390x

urs.frey at post.ch urs.frey at post.ch
Thu Mar 26 08:17:19 MDT 2015

Hi
I can only speak about ESXi VmwareTools
> /usr/bin/vmware-config-tools.pl after the update. I have been told for a
> minor kernel change -51 to -53 this is not requited, may I asked the good
> minds on this list their thoughts on this ?

When doing Kernel Updates with ESXi VMwareTools there is need to re-compile the VMware Kernel Modules after Kernel Patch Update
This is why I have this code in my /etc/init.d/boot.local. Observe the Boolean file ".vmware_installed" in the kernel path

# Automatically recompile vmware-tools/modules at bootup
if [ ! -e /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/.vmware_installed ]; then
    [ -x /usr/bin/vmware-config-tools.pl ] && /usr/bin/vmware-config-tools.pl --default
    [ -x /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl ] && /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl --default
    touch /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/.vmware_installed
fi

===============

Of course there is an advantage when using the open-vm-tools:
you do not have to care again on reconfiguring vm-tools, because it is all delivered in the new kernel

best regards

Urs Frey
Post CH AG
Informationstechnologie
IT Betrieb
Webergutstrasse 12
3030 Bern (Zollikofen)
Telefon : ++41 (0)58 338 58 70
FAX     : ++41 (0)58 667 30 07
> The "open-vm-tools" looks good, least it's not giving me any issues. The
> kernel is at -53 and Beta2 was -51 so I run:
> /usr/bin/vmware-config-tools.pl after the update. I have been told for a
> minor kernel change -51 to -53 this is not requited, may I asked the good
> minds on this list their thoughts on this ?

I wouldn't have expected this to be required. However, I have been looking more closely at the open-vm-tools side, instead of VMware Tools. Perhaps someone else on the list using VMware Tools can report whether or not a reconfiguration was required for them as well?

Thanks,
Mike