[sles-beta] SLES 12 SP1 BETA2 - Update from path ..

Joe Doupnik jrd at netlab1.net
Wed Aug 26 09:44:17 MDT 2015

     Upgrading from SLES11SP3, my part of the story.
     As Thorsten said: insert DVD, select Upgrade, pray.
      I followed that advice. SLES11SP3 was the starting point, with
loads of Apache apps installed and whatnot, a faithful test machine. I
inserted the SLES12SP1 beta 2 iso (doing this in ESXi). This time I
elected to register and receive updates during installation, something
which I normally avoid. "Some time later" the process finished with no
complaints.
     Testing. GUI works (if one can call Gnome working). Apache
rebelled. The reason is it changed from v2.2 to 2.4 and Apache folks
changed regular "Order allow,deny" to less useful terminology, just
because they could I presume.   Similar Apache annoyances pop up as we
smooth things. I added module access_compat, but there remains many
other version specific changes to Apache config files, thus prepare for
a bit of rewriting.
     My iptables material works. The network functions (copper, static
addressing).
     The mouse no longer works in the GUI, and it does not appear in
text mode YaST.
     So, while SUSE normally does a terrific job with in-place upgrades
this combination (beta 2) is a little over-stretched. Apache changes are
in addition to this, naturally.
     Thanks,
     Joe D.