[sles-beta] Admin Server fails to boot on Xen

Eugen Block eblock at nde.ag
Tue Oct 27 03:12:34 MDT 2015

Hi everyone,

I'm currently trying to upgrade from cloud 5 to cloud 6 beta. During
installation of the Admin server I'm facing some difficulties. The
admin server is supposed to run as a xen-guest on a SLES11-SP4 host.
The installation itself went smoothly, but after reboot the vm gets
stuck in the grub command line. It is possible to boot the vm, though:
in grub cmd I just have to execute these commands manually, and then
it boots successfully (until next reboot):

--- cut here ---

set root='hd0,msdos3'
linux   /vmlinuz-xen root=UUID=e557cc68-5b12-48a2-a15f-da9b2c75dfcb
192.168.103.5 resume=/dev/xvda1 splash=silent quiet showopts
initrd  /initrd-xen
boot

--- cut here ---

I have been able to install SLES12 on a xen guest before, but it fails
now on SLES12-SP1.
An excerpt of the xen config file for the admin server:

--- cut here ---

builder="linux"
kernel="/usr/lib/grub2/x86_64-xen/grub.xen"

--- cut here ---

nameserver is also set.
If you need any further information to analyze I would be happy to
provide missing info.

I would appreciate any help.

Regards,
Eugen

--
Eugen Block                             voice   : +49-40-559 51 75
NDE Netzdesign und -entwicklung AG      fax     : +49-40-559 51 77
D-22423 Hamburg                         e-mail  : eblock at nde.ag

          Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrates: Angelika Mozdzen
            Sitz und Registergericht: Hamburg, HRB 90934
                    Vorstand: Jens-U. Mozdzen
                     USt-IdNr. DE 814 013 983