[sles-beta] Antw: Re: network settings for SLES12 installation

Torsten Hallmann torsten.hallmann at suse.com
Thu Nov 26 06:08:42 MST 2015

Hi Eugen,

is this an autoyast or manual install? If autoyast, did you use keep_install_network?

Also what I did with regards to installing kvm hosts where it needs a bridge, but linuxrc does not know about, is to implement an ask dialog filled with pre-defaults from cmd output with auto accept timeout. See statements below for autoyast. By that I was able to kickoff an installation with netsetup=-dhcp,all and then transfer the net settings to br0 instead of eth0 :)

    <ask-list config:type="list">
      <ask>
        <stage>initial</stage>
        <dialog config:type="integer">1</dialog>
        <title>Network Settings</title>
        <help>Enter the network settings for this host.</help>
        <pathlist config:type="list">
          <path>networking,dns,hostname</path>
        </pathlist>
        <question>Hostname</question>
        <type>string</type>
        <default_value_script>
          <source>cat /proc/sys/kernel/hostname | awk -F'.' '{printf $1$2$3$4}'</source>
        </default_value_script>
        <timeout config:type="integer">30</timeout>
      </ask>
      <ask>
        <stage>initial</stage>
        <dialog config:type="integer">1</dialog>
        <pathlist config:type="list">
          <path>networking,interfaces,0,ipaddr</path>
        </pathlist>
        <question>IP Address br0</question>
        <type>string</type>
        <default_value_script>
          <source>ifconfig eth0 | grep Mask | cut -d ":" -f2 | awk '{printf $1}'</source>
        </default_value_script>
        <timeout config:type="integer">30</timeout>
      </ask>
      <ask>
        <stage>initial</stage>
        <dialog config:type="integer">1</dialog>
        <pathlist config:type="list">
          <path>networking,interfaces,0,netmask</path>
        </pathlist>
        <question>Netmask br0</question>
        <type>string</type>
        <default_value_script>
          <source>ifconfig eth0 | grep Mask | awk -F':' '{printf $4}'</source>
        </default_value_script>
        <timeout config:type="integer">30</timeout>
      </ask>
      <ask>
        <stage>initial</stage>
        <dialog config:type="integer">1</dialog>
        <pathlist config:type="list">
          <path>networking,dns,nameservers,0</path>
        </pathlist>
        <question>Nameserver</question>
        <type>string</type>
        <default_value_script>
          <source>grep nameserver /etc/resolv.conf | awk '{printf $2}'</source>
        </default_value_script>
        <timeout config:type="integer">30</timeout>
      </ask>
      <ask>
        <stage>initial</stage>
        <dialog config:type="integer">1</dialog>
        <pathlist config:type="list">
          <path>networking,dns,domain</path>
          <path>networking,dns,searchlist,0</path>
        </pathlist>
        <question>Domain</question>
        <type>string</type>
        <default_value_script>
          <source>grep search /etc/resolv.conf | awk '{printf $2}'</source>
        </default_value_script>
        <timeout config:type="integer">30</timeout>
      </ask>
      <ask>
        <stage>initial</stage>
        <dialog config:type="integer">1</dialog>
        <pathlist config:type="list">
          <path>networking,routing,route,0,gateway</path>
        </pathlist>
        <question>Default Gateway</question>
        <type>string</type>
        <default_value_script>
          <source>route -n | grep ^0.0.0.0 | awk '{printf $2}'</source>
        </default_value_script>
        <timeout config:type="integer">30</timeout>
      </ask>
    </ask-list>

Maybe you can tweak that a bit for your use case.