[sles-beta] Odd happenings in the register with RC2 to RC3 update

Vincent Moutoussamy vmoutoussamy at suse.com
Thu Nov 26 10:04:36 MST 2015

Hi,

here is statement about the hostname of a machine registered in SCC:

- Registration during installation:
Like Thorsten said:
> When the system at the moment of registration has a hostname set, this gets
> send to SCC. Else we fall back to the ipv4 address.
So if during a basic installation you do not set the hostname of your machine
via the network configuration (cf. reg-netconf.png) -> Hostname/DNS
(cf. hostname-net.png), and thus keep the default hostname “linux”, then
during the registration phase it will take the IP address of the server as the
“hostname on scc”.

But if you replace the default hostname “linux” and set, for instance
"server1", "the hostname on scc” will be correctly set to "server1”.

- Registration after installation:
You can easily change “the hostname on scc” of an already installed server
with:
1) Setting/changing hostname:
yast -> system -> network settings -> Hostname/DNS-> Hostname
2) Update the registration:
# SUSEconnect -r regcode

So you don’t really need to de-register and register again.

I hope this help you to understand the setting of the hostname during the
registration process.
If by any chance this statement does not describe your case, please
describe your case so that we could understand and reproduce it.

Have a nice day,

Vincent Moutoussamy
SUSE Beta Program and SDK Project Manager