[caasp-beta] [Newsletter] Re: RE : kubectl requires username and password

Rob de Canha-Knight rob.decanha-knight at suse.com
Wed Oct 25 09:37:26 MDT 2017

Hi Liam.

We’ve been aware of this issue (cert generated before dhcp hostname set) for a short while now since RC1 and we’ve already fixed this bug in our builds.

By the time 2.0 is released and the next public beta update this issue won’t occur as the script that generates the certificates will only run after the network-online systemd target has been reached (before it could run before then hence why the hostnames did not match).

Also when 2 is released you won’t have to use the caasp-cli tool to authenticate (but you can if you still wish of course) as this will be done inside of velum (well redirecting to dex to download the kubeconfig file in the browser).

Another workaround for this (that I’m sure Stephen sent a couple weeks back now as I remember sending this workaround to him):
remove /etc/pki/velum.crt and /etc/pki/ldap.crt

Run /usr/share/caasp-container-manifests/gen-certs.sh

Then docker rm -f <container ID of velum container>

And another docker rm -f for the container ID of the ldap server.

Caasp-cli also supports the “-k” option to ignore tls errors/validation and is one of the easier ways to use it.

Thanks for pointing all of this out I just wanted to assure you that we’re aware of the bug and have already implemented a fix that will go out in the next public beta update (which will be a GMC build) and when you download the final 2.0 release this issue will not be present but yes; the CA will still be self signed (for now) and to ease your automation scripts it would be wise to trust the ca chain in any client machines you’re using as part of your ci/cd cycle.

I know you’re planning to do some awesome cool things with caasp-cli and automation in ec2 etc and this is why we’re keen to support caasp-cli and the scripted way to access a cluster so the knowledge you’ve provided here I will add to our internal FAQ as well so it’s not ever forgotten about :)

Thanks,

Rob

-----

Rob de Canha-Knight

EMEA Platform and Management Technical Strategist

SUSE

rob.decanha-knight at suse.com

(P)  +44 (0) 1635 937689

(M) +44 (0) 7392 087303