[caasp-beta] Use another interface after install

Liam McCafferty Liam.McCafferty at smartodds.co.uk
Mon Mar 5 15:31:15 MST 2018

Hi stephane,

We ran into this issue upon initial install on release day and we ended up creating a bond called eth0(messy i know) inside the autoyast.In the newer versions of  caas (you would have to update to latest version of the admin node before the bootstrap) saltstack actually looks at the grains I believe to set the interface name so you should be ok.

We have recently also updated from 1g to 10g networking in the cluster but as caas does not like us changing the interface name we simply changed the actually bond binding to 10g nics and updated dhcp with the reservation with the new mac. as far as caas is concerned we have not changed anything and this has been running fine in production for around a week now. I plan on doing the first update since this change later this week so lets see if it lives.

Although this upgrade is completely unsupported by suse it seems to work :D.

If you like I should be able to send over the section of autoyast dealing with bonding tomorrow?

This was sent from my phone so please excuse my complete lack of punctuation.

Cheers,

Liam

Sent from BlueMail

On 5 Mar 2018, 10:08 pm, at 10:08 pm, Rob de Canha-Knight <rob.decanha-knight at suse.com> wrote:
>Hi Stephane,
>

>In general, changing the network interface setup after install is not
>possible and I believe it is unsupported at this time.
>

>If you’ve got a mix of KVM and physical nodes the best thing to do is
>to download the autoyast generated by the admin node and modify it. You
>can then serve it up yourself from a normal SLES machine and Apache.
>
>That way you can have an autoyast suitable for KVM based VMs and a
>different autoyast file suitable for the physical hosts with network
>bonding.
>
>I strongly recommend setting up the bond inside of the autoyast file
>directly. I don’t however have any examples of how to do this.
>
>You can then reinstall the worker nodes or the cluster and they’ll get
>more appropriate installation settings to deal with network bonding.
>

>We also recently released some updates to CaaS Platform to remove the
>hardcoded eth0 references and instead use the default network interface
>inside all of the salt states/components. In your case this will be
>bond0 (but only if setup correctly or like that during install).
>
>So please make sure that your existing cluster is up to date both admin
>and worker nodes but also more importantly make sure you’re enabling
>updates during install for when you reinstall the cluster (this can be
>set in the autoyast file and is enabled by default in the autoyast I
>think as long as a registration code was provided to the admin node
>during installation.
>
>You’ll need all the <do_registration> and <reg_code> and
><install_updates> filled in correctly and enabled.
>
>Further information on updates to a cluster the process and how to
>recover from errors can be found at
>https://wiki.microfocus.com/index.php/SUSE_CaaS_Platform/Cluster_Update
>

>We have a couple of customers that have achieved bonding network cards
>with CaaSP. I am adding in Liam to this thread as he was successful in
>achieving this and he may be able to share some examples or some
>insights into network bonding. Anything you’re able to share or input
>to the discussion is much appreciated Liam :)
>

>If I’ve said anything that’s incorrect then someone from Engineering
>will be able to comment (it’s been a while since I’ve looked into the
>issue of network bonding).
>

>Kind regards,
>
>Rob
>

>-----
>
>Rob de Canha-Knight
>
>EMEA Platform and Management Technical Strategist
>
>SUSE
>
>rob.decanha-knight at suse.com
>
>(P)  +44 (0) 1635 937689
>
>(M) +44 (0) 7869 113493
>
>(TW) rssfed23
>
>I work on GMT time zone
>
>----
>
>From: <caasp-beta-bounces at lists.suse.com> on behalf of "Le Bihan
>Stéphane (AMUNDI-ITS)" <stephane.lebihan at amundi.com>
>Date: Monday, 26 February 2018 at 10:53
> [...]

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you receive it in error or are not the intended recipient you must not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance upon it. Instead, please notify us immediately by telephoning +44 (20) 7482 0077 and delete the material from your systems. Smartodds is a business carried on by Smartodds Limited, a company registered with the Registrar of Companies for England and Wales with number 05108548. Registered office: Unit 531 Highgate Studios, 53-79 Highgate Road, London NW5 1TL