[Deepsea-users] Antw: Re: Example configurations for policy.cfg and disk configurations?

Joshua Schmid jschmid at suse.de
Wed Feb 15 02:20:09 MST 2017

Hey, Martin

[..]

> But I still have some more questions - maybe you can help?
>
> What adjustments were done in the global.yml / cluster.yml?

You can find more information in the wiki:

https://github.com/SUSE/DeepSea/wiki

> What is the adjustments you have done in these role assignments:
>> role-mon/stack/default/ceph/minions/monnode*.yml
>> role-igw/stack/default/ceph/minions/igwnode*.suse.lab.yml
> (how did you configure separate IP addresses for each of the iSCSI gateways?)
>
> Do you also have some details about the Hardware profile configuration to achieve the OSD / disk setup required?
> -> What exactly do I have to do to get the 5:1 SSD <-> SAS setup for journals and have each of the journals 20 GB in size?

Deepsea tries to find a nice ratio for you SSD<->HDD. In you case (
20sas/5ssd ), it will create the 5:1 ratio.

You can verify if deepsea guessed correctly by looking in:

/srv/pillar/ceph/proposals/profile-*/stack/default/ceph/minions/<host>.yml

the section: `data+journals` should reflect this.

There is currently a ongoing effort to allow custom ratios/profiles.
-> https://github.com/SUSE/DeepSea/issues/76

> Thanks
> Martin
>

>> There is a policy config in this doc from the Apollo Cluster I have in provo.
>
> David Byte
> Sr. Technology Strategist
> Alliances and SUSE Embedded
> dbyte at suse.com
> 918.528.4422
>
> From: <deepsea-users-bounces at lists.suse.com> on behalf of Martin Weiss <Martin.Weiss at suse.com>
> Date: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 12:50 PM
> To: "deepsea-users at lists.suse.com" <deepsea-users at lists.suse.com>
> Subject: [Deepsea-users] Example configurations for policy.cfg and disk configurations?
>
> Hi *.
>
> I tried to understand the way how the policy.cfg needs to be filled and how the disk configuration should be configured - but it seems I am missing something and need help and an example to understand this ;-).
>
> Maybe someone can create and share a policy.cfg and some examples for the disk configuration for me that matches somehow my scenario?
>
> My scenario:
> ----
> 5 servers: ses-4-admin, ses-4-1,ses-4-2, ses-4-3, ses-4-4
>
> ses-4-admin should get openAttic
>
> ses-4-{1..3} should be a "MON"
>
> ses-4-{1,3} should be a "iSCSI Gateway" where the iSCSI gateway IP is the third IP on each host (separate interface)
>
> ses-4-{2,4} should be two hosts for the same "Rados Gateway"
>
> ses-4-{2..4} should be "MDS"
>
> ses-4-{1..4} should be OSD host
>
> Each OSD host has 24 disks. 4 SSDs (sd{a..d}) and 20 SAS (sd{e..x}).
> Always 5 OSDs should get the journal on one SSD - i.e. sde/sdf/sdg/sdh/sdj should get 20 GB journals on sda.
> ----
>
> So what exactly do I need in my policy.cfg and how do I configure the disks properly?
>
> P.S. I also want to create some pools (replicated and erasure), setup cache tiering, create RBDs and configure them with the iSCSI gateways... do I get it right that this is not yet available in DeepSea?
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Martin

Freundliche Grüße - Kind regards,
Joshua Schmid
SUSE Enterprise Storage
SUSE Linux GmbH - Maxfeldstr. 5 - 90409 Nürnberg