[Deepsea-users] Basic node patch/update management

Lenz Grimmer lgrimmer at suse.com
Tue Nov 28 10:03:05 MST 2017

Hi Volker,

On 11/28/2017 04:17 PM, Volker Theile wrote:

>> What is the approach for keeping all cluster nodes up to date and
>> patched at run time, after the cluster has been deployed?
>
> I use the following commands:
>
> # salt '*' pkg.refresh_db
> # salt '*' pkg.upgrade

Right, that's the generic Salt approach. But I wonder if we need to take
some extra cautions here, e.g. when it comes to the order in which nodes
are upgraded?

I'm not sure if it's safe to do this in parallel, as it might result in
unexpected service restarts on all nodes at the same time. Salt by
itself does not have any knowledge of the various roles of a Ceph
cluster and their dependencies. Or maybe that's not really a valid concern?

Lenz
--
SUSE Linux GmbH - Maxfeldstr. 5 - 90409 Nuernberg (Germany)
GF:Felix Imendörffer,Jane Smithard,Graham Norton,HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)