[sle-beta] [ANNOUNCE] SUSE Linux Enterprise 15 is now Beta 1!

Simon Flood S.M.Flood at uis.cam.ac.uk
Wed Nov 1 10:40:42 MDT 2017

On 01/11/17 16:24, Bynoe, Ronald J wrote:

> We noticed that /etc/SuSE-release is missing from the Beta1 images.
>
> Was it omitted or has it been fully deprecated? If it has been deprecated, then anything depnding on CPython's platform.py is going to be broken, as it doesn't currently support os-release as far as I can tell.

As noted in SLE12 SPx Release Notes:

--begin--
Starting with SLE 12, the /etc/SuSE-release file has been deprecated. Do
not use it to identify a SUSE Linux Enterprise system anymore. This file
will be removed in a future Service Pack or release.

To determine the release, use the file /etc/os-release instead. This
file is a cross-distribution standard to identify Linux systems. For