[sle-beta] Network missing pieces

Joe Doupnik jrd at netlab1.net
Mon Nov 6 04:48:07 MST 2017

     Forwarding a copy to the beta list:

     Without meaning to start a long discussion, I have the distinct
feeling here that we have another classical "could versus should"
situation.
     In my view, the customer/end-user/human experience has high
precedence about many matters of this kind. Thus classical tools ought
to remain until there are clearly superior versions together marked need
for those superior versions. If no such need then the classical ought to
remain intact because the goal is to provide the end user with easy to
use and remember controls, rather than play with the toys just because
one could. There is also the unnecessary complexity part of things where
replacement commands for standard straight forward operations require
obtuse replacements and extra bits. Example: to open the house front
door please hold the key upright in the mail slot while pointing one's
left hand at the door's top hinge, which demonstrates our new nifty
electro-optical lock mechanism (void during hurricane season).
     The aspects of need and complexity become evident when dealing with
more than one particular edition of Linux and with our sundry scripts
and helpful programs which depend upon such features. Consider these
aspects under stressful conditions involving many sundry Linux machines
and there is some kind of trouble which must be fixed immediately by a
duty manager. Consider what new customers would expect to be available
[cf. the Windows 10 start menu fiasco].
     lspci. Gosh, I wonder how many people would think of that when
dealing with a regular Ethernet adapter, even assuming the adapter were
PCI based. Actually it does not help us, as readers can verify for
themselves. Obscure ("whimsical") naming does no good either.  ethN (N =
0, 1..) is at least regular, predictable, some might say sensible and
human oriented. Contrast that with "ens32" which can be followed next by
say "ens34" (what happened to 33 or 31? Did I make an error somewhere?)
which seem to have no obvious relationship to the observable world. The
adapter name can be rectified manually, say via YaST or much more
obscure tricks, but then arguably the regular system could/should have
done that in the first place.
     The freedesktop.org article (aka systemd again) is useful to read,
so thanks for its reference in this discussion. In a nutshell or two it
says they don't know what to do about an ideal AI solution (they haven't
second guessed the kernel first guesser), so instead of solving that at
the post boot level awkward special user commands are needed to restore
rationality for even 90+% of situations. Think: a deer in headlights.
Two quotations from the article:
> Does this have any drawbacks? Yes, it does. Previously it was
> practically guaranteed that hosts equipped with a single ethernet card
> only had a single "eth0" interface. With this new scheme in place, an
> administrator now has to check first what the local interface name is
> before he can invoke commands on it where previously he had a good
> chance that "eth0" was the right name.
> That's documented in detail in a comment block the sources of the
> net_id built-in
> <https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/master/src/udev/udev-builtin-net_id.c#L20>.
> Please refer to this in case you are wondering how to decode the new
> interface names.
     Container projects seem to be inventing their own problems, and one
hopes that over time those awkwardnesses would filter down into
supporting kernel changes. An analogy is asking how many children's
swings and houses a normal tree could support without requiring a new
species.
    Thus far in the discussed material I perceive neither superiority
nor marked need, but I do see added complexity and obscurity.  I think
the primary goal of usability by regular people is being lost in
technical noise. Retaining tried and true tools while improving their
underpinnings can be a satisfying achievement and be widely accepted.
     Thanks,
     Joe D.