[sle-beta] Timezone and NTP

Waite, Dick (External) Dick.Waite at softwareag.com
Mon Nov 13 11:48:49 MST 2017

Grand Evening,

One is asked at the beginning of an install with F2 what language to use... For me that is EN-UK

later on in the install one gets a grand display of the world and we can say where "local" is, for many reasons I use Malta. At that point one can also configure which NTP server to use. So one is a little surprised when a number of UK NTP server are shown, none from the "local" area of Europe.

Later on, with the system running one can see in /etc/systconfig /other / etc / sysconfig / clock / TIMEZONE and DEFAULT_TIMEZONE.  One can see in TIMEZONE "Europe/Malta", looks grand, but in DEFAULT_TIMEZONE there is the value Europe/London. This seems to come from my choice of EN-UK, I would have thought "Europe/Malta" would have been the "DEFAULT_TIMEZONE" and "TIMEZONE" the value you set as one travels around.

If one sets "DEFAULT_TIMEZONE" to Europe/Berlin you can then use a NTP server from Germany... I was looking for any NTP server giving a European time zone.

Seems a bit arse-about-face, anyway NTP seems to be also on the blink...

__R

Software AG – Sitz/Registered office: Uhlandstraße 12, 64297 Darmstadt, Germany – Registergericht/Commercial register: Darmstadt HRB 1562 - Vorstand/Management Board: Karl-Heinz Streibich (Vorsitzender/Chairman), Eric Duffaut, Dr. Wolfram Jost, Arnd Zinnhardt, Dr. Stefan Sigg; - Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr. Andreas Bereczky - http://www.softwareag.com