[sle-beta] beta5: Cannot adjust 'NTP' service when NTP was enabled in installer

Joe Doupnik jrd at netlab1.net
Sun Jan 28 05:34:26 MST 2018

     For general amusement and perhaps education, the NTP problem of
choosing amongst competing time givers is known as the Byzantine
Generals Problem. The situation is a group of Generals/time givers offer
their views, but some may not be truthful (are traitors) and ought to be
excluded from the group. The first step in a solution is to form a
majority group (a quorum, a concensus), and for that there needs to be
2N+1 participants to caste out N possible non-truthful members. Then
stratum number and optionally other measurements come into play. Thus
for us we ought to have an odd number of time givers, a minimum of three
and a few more than that can be better.
     Including the PC local clock amongst them biases matters if the
local clock is far off the mark. It's presence is in case there are no
other time givers for this machine (network problems) and yet this
machine may offer time to other machines. Oh dear, that's an awkward
situation if the local clock may be well off, which in turn can upset a
site. To minimize the problem of possibly insane local machine clock
sources have each machine reference a set of likely external sources
located both on-site and remotely (forms overlapping meshes). Friends
helping friends based on widely spread expertise.
     The Byzantine Generals problem arises in many kinds of
fault-tolerant systems.
     Thanks,
     Joe D.