[sle-beta] When Migrating from SLES12 to SLES15 ....

Vincent Moutoussamy vmoutoussamy at suse.com
Wed Mar 7 08:19:42 MST 2018

Hi,
> On 6 Mar 2018, at 18:26, Waite, Dick (External) <Dick.Waite at softwareag.com> wrote:
>
> I was thinking of the amends one can do if the system is not mounted, which are quite helpful. Agreed one does not want to be running backup-reload in a migration, but while the LVM's are not mounted there are a number of operations one can do which might be handy in the SLES15 configuration. Agreed one can use a "rescue" environment and do much the same, but while you have a working environment running the migration, why not take advantage….

IMHO, changing the filesystem layout or the underlaying technology of an
existing system is already a big deal on his own. If it’s not just adding a
new disk for new free space, any changes will be significant enough to require
some additional pre-production testing.

> "So a fresh installation is really much faster." This may be true for the OS but it might take a few weeks to install and configure all the applications needed to make this a working system.

By the way we already recommend to do fresh install for Migrating from major
SLE version (like from SLE 11 to SLE 12*), and I’m not aware of any change in
that regard for migrating to SLE 15.

This means that we consider a fresh install to be the best method to put the
major SLE version in production for (not all but) most customers and use cases.
Why? well for various reasons it’s the safer route for you, and it also allow
you to evaluate and make changes if necessary step by step.

>  I was thinking you could add some disks and add them into the LVM and configure them. In a new install there are grand tools accessible during the install, which I would image are also available in a migration. Again you could do this in a service slot, but if it's there in the migration it's a nice bonus point... One up on the Red team.

Well, touching anything related to filesystem or disk put the existing data at
potential risk right? This is not just for SLE but for any OS out there.

So you could see your proposal as a neat new feature but also as a new way to
potentially break things during the migration process.

Regards,

*https://www.suse.com/documentation/sles-12/singlehtml/book_sle_deployment/book_sle_deployment.html#sec.update.sle.paths
--
Vincent Moutoussamy
SUSE Beta Program and SDK Project Manager