[sle-beta] RC1 UPDATE - Looking good

Vincent Moutoussamy vmoutoussamy at suse.com
Fri Mar 9 09:03:45 MST 2018

Hi,

> On 8 Mar 2018, at 11:08, Waite, Dick (External) <Dick.Waite at softwareag.com> wrote:
>
> Grand Morning,
>
> If one has not made the following amend before running an UPDATE
> solver.onlyRequires = true
> installRecommends=false # or commented
Just to give others a little bit of context:

Regarding solver.onlyRequires and installRecommends the default settings are the
same for SLES 12 SP3 and SLES 15.

# grep solver.onlyRequires /etc/zypp/zypp.conf
# solver.onlyRequires = false

in /etc/zypp/zypper.conf:
## Install soft dependencies (recommended packages)
##
## CAUTION: The system wide default for all libzypp based applications (zypper,
## yast, pk,..) is defined in  /etc/zypp/zypp.conf(solver.onlyRequires)  and it
## will per default install recommended packages. It is NOT RECOMMENDED to define
## this value here for zypper exclusively, unless you are very certain that you
## want zypper to behave different than other libzypp based packagemanagement software
## on your system.
##
## Valid values: boolean
## Default value: follow zypp.conf(solver.onlyRequires)
##
# installRecommends = yes

> How can one remove all the not needed bits and bobs with zypper or Yast2 or does one have to do the whole thing again ?
First thing first, could you tell us what was the reason to change the default
settings?

Second, do you mean how could you remove all installed packages that were
considered as “recommended packages”?

Not sure if this is the best approach but I have just come up with this to list
all installed recommended packages:
# for i in `zypper pa -i | awk -F '|' '{print $3}'`; do zypper info --recommends $i | grep -A 10 Recommends >> installed-recommended-packages.txt; done

This can may take a long time to be executed...

- zypper pa -i | awk -F '|' '{print $3}’ :
List all installed package in your system and only their name.
- zypper info --recommends $i :
add the recommended packages of a given package in the info output
- grep -A 10 Recommends:
Dirty way to only show the “Recommends”, so it will only save the potential
max of 10 recommended packages (I dunno if any has more than 10…) and not the entire
zypper info output, for better readability.

Last, the general advice when you want to have a system with very limited
packages set is to (fresh) install a SLES minimal or use JeOS, then you can
change the default setting of “solver.onlyRequires” if you really want to after
reckoning that this might cause side effects.

> Many Thanks
>
> __R

Vincent Moutoussamy
SUSE Beta Program and SDK Project Manager