[sle-beta] [ANNOUNCE] SUSE Linux Enterprise 15 Service Pack 1 Beta3 is out!

Thorsten Kukuk kukuk at suse.de
Thu Feb 14 01:48:07 MST 2019

On Thu, Feb 14, CuiXiang Zhang wrote:

> Cloud-init is tended to work as default system/network configuration tools in
> not far feature,

I have my heavy doubts about this. cloud-init is great for public cloud
environments, but there you don't have a Desktop. For local
system/network configuration, it's too fat, slow and has too many
unwanted side effects and design problems.
We tried that for MicroOS and abonded the idea of using cloud-init
for this. On our openSUSE variants we are currently in the process
of removing it everywhere (except public cloud) again. There are
much more promising projects which are better suited like ignition,
which is small, fast and has no unwanted side effects if a service
has no user configuration.

> if it come true, how SLE desktop without cloud-init handle the
> system/network configuration?

The public cloud module is for the Public Cloud, our SLE desktop is
clearly not a good usecase for a Public Cloud. That's why the
Public Cloud Module is only available and supported with SLES, not
SLED.
And for network configuration, we have yast, autoyast, salt, ...

  Thorsten

Thorsten Kukuk, Distinguished Engineer, Senior Architect SLES & MicroOS