[sle-beta] Zypper or Yast

Thorsten Kukuk kukuk at suse.de
Tue Feb 26 06:44:01 MST 2019

On Tue, Feb 26, Waite, Dick (External) wrote:

> Grand Sunny Tuesday,
>
> Can one interchange zypper and yast at will... I use zypper for most of my
> migrations, but sometime, when the water is flowing I use Yast...
>
> I have a feeling if I used yast say for a Beta2 or 3 update and then use zypper
> for Beta4 poor zypper seems to have a very bad hair day. I have reset to the
> base snapshot and done the --rollback but could it be there is something odd if
> you switch willie nillie between yast and zypper on migration ?

Could you please be more verbose?
YaST is a swiss army knife, there is not the one method to update a system, but
at minimum three.
Same for zypper, there are three ways to update a system.

So saying you are using YaST or zypper is pretty useless.

Another thing:
Updating from Beta2 to Beta3 with YaST and Beta3 to Beta4 with zypper,
while you have afterwards problems with Beta4, is pretty meaningless.
This does not need to be a bug in YaST nor zypper, this could also be
a bug in a package. It's only a bug in YaST or zypper, if updating the
exact same system once with YaST to Beta4 and once with zypper, and
the result is different. Important is, the start system needs to be
exactly the same, and the update method needs to be the same.
Everything else means, that the results will not be identical or
compareable, too.

Important to know is:
1. From which version to which version did you update with YaST?
2. How did you update with YaST?
3. From which version to which version did you update with zypper?
4. What is the exact commandline you used for this?

 Thanks,
   Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk, Distinguished Engineer, Senior Architect SLES & MicroOS