SUSE-SU-2019:0414-1: moderate: Security update for dovecot23
sle-updates at lists.suse.com
sle-updates at lists.suse.com
Fri Feb 15 04:10:28 MST 2019
SUSE Security Update: Security update for dovecot23
Announcement ID: SUSE-SU-2019:0414-1
References: #1119850 #1123022 #1124356
SUSE Linux Enterprise Module for Server Applications 15
An update that solves one vulnerability and has two fixes
is now available.
This update for dovecot23 fixes the following issues:
dovecot was updated to 2.3.3 release, bringing lots of bugfixes
Also the following security issue was fixed:
- CVE-2019-3814: A vulnerability in Dovecot related to SSL client
certificate authentication was fixed (bsc#1123022)
The package changes:
Updated pigeonhole to 0.5.3:
- Fix assertion panic occurring when managesieve service fails to
open INBOX while saving a Sieve script. This was caused by a lack of
cleanup after failure.
- Fix specific messages causing an assert panic with actions that compose
a reply (e.g. vacation). With some rather weird input from the original
message, the header folding algorithm (as used for composing the
References header for the reply) got confused, causing the panic.
- IMAP FILTER=SIEVE capability: Fix FILTER SIEVE SCRIPT command parsing.
After finishing reading the Sieve script, the command parsing sometimes
didn't continue with the search arguments. This is a time- critical bug
that likely only occurs when the Sieve script is sent in the next TCP
dovecot23 was updated to 2.3.3:
- doveconf hides more secrets now in the default output.
- ssl_dh setting is no longer enforced at startup. If it's not set and
non-ECC DH key exchange happens, error is logged and client is
- Added log_debug=<filter> setting.
- Added log_core_filter=<log filter> setting.
- quota-clone: Write to dict asynchronously
- --enable-hardening attempts to use retpoline Spectre 2 mitigations
- lmtp proxy: Support source_ip passdb extra field.
- doveadm stats dump: Support more fields and output stddev by default.
- push-notification: Add SSL support for OX backend.
- NUL bytes in mail headers can cause truncated replies when fetched.
- director: Conflicting host up/down state changes may in some rare
situations ended up in a loop of two directors constantly
overwriting each others' changes.
- director: Fix hang/crash when multiple doveadm commands are being
- director: Fix assert-crash if doveadm disconnects too early
- virtual plugin: Some searches used 100% CPU for many seconds
- dsync assert-crashed with acl plugin in some situations. (bsc#1119850)
- mail_attachment_detection_options=add-flags-on-save assert-crashed with
some specific Sieve scripts.
- Mail snippet generation crashed with mails containing invalid
- Log prefix ordering was different for some log lines.
- quota: With noenforcing option current quota usage wasn't updated.
- auth: Kerberos authentication against Samba assert-crashed.
- stats clients were unnecessarily chatty with the stats server.
- imapc: Fixed various assert-crashes when reconnecting to server.
- lmtp, submission: Fix potential crash if client disconnects while
handling a command.
- quota: Fixed compiling with glibc-2.26 / support libtirpc.
- fts-solr: Empty search values resulted in 400 Bad Request errors
- fts-solr: default_ns parameter couldn't be used
- submission server crashed if relay server returned over 7 lines in a
reply (e.g. to EHLO)
dovecot was updated to 184.108.40.206:
- SSL/TLS servers may have crashed during client disconnection
- lmtp: With lmtp_rcpt_check_quota=yes mail deliveries may have sometimes
- v2.3.2: "make check" may have crashed with 32bit systems
dovecot was updated to 2.3.2:
- old-stats plugin: Don't temporarily enable PR_SET_DUMPABLE while opening
/proc/self/io. This may still cause security problems if the process is
ptrace()d at the same time. Instead, open it while still running as root.
- doveadm: Added mailbox cache decision&remove commands. See
doveadm-mailbox(1) man page for details.
- doveadm: Added rebuild attachments command for rebuilding $HasAttachment
or $HasNoAttachment flags for matching mails. See doveadm-rebuild(1) man
page for details.
- cassandra: Use fallback_consistency on more types of errors
- lmtp proxy: Support outgoing SSL/TLS connections
- lmtp: Add lmtp_rawlog_dir and lmtp_proxy_rawlog_dir settings.
- submission: Add support for rawlog_dir
- submission: Add submission_client_workarounds setting.
- lua auth: Add password_verify() function and additional fields in auth
- doveadm-server: TCP connections are hanging when there is a lot
of network output. This especially caused hangs in dsync-replication.
- Using multiple type=shared mdbox namespaces crashed
- mail_fsync setting was ignored. It was always set to "optimized".
- lua auth: Fix potential crash at deinit
- SSL/TLS servers may have crashed if client disconnected during handshake.
- SSL/TLS servers: Don't send extraneous certificates to client when alt
certs are used.
- lda, lmtp: Return-Path header without '<' may have assert-crashed.
- lda, lmtp: Unencoded UTF-8 in email address headers may assert-crash
- lda: -f parameter didn't allow empty/null/domainless address
- lmtp, submission: Message size limit was hardcoded to 40 MB. Exceeding
it caused the connection to get dropped during transfer.
- lmtp: Fix potential crash when delivery fails at DATA stage
- lmtp: login_greeting setting was ignored
- Fix to work with OpenSSL v1.0.2f
- systemd unit restrictions were too strict by default
- Fix potential crashes when a lot of log output was produced
- SMTP client may have assert-crashed when sending mail
- IMAP COMPRESS: Send "end of compression" marker when disconnecting.
- cassandra: Fix consistency=quorum to work
- dsync: Lock file generation failed if home directory didn't exist
- Snippet generation for HTML mails didn't ignore &entities inside
blockquotes, producing strange looking snippets.
- imapc: Fix assert-crash if getting disconnected and after reconnection
all mails in the selected mailbox are gone.
- pop3c: Handle unexpected server disconnections without assert-crash
- fts: Fixes to indexing mails via virtual mailboxes.
- fts: If mails contained NUL characters, the text around it wasn't
- Obsolete dovecot.index.cache offsets were sometimes used. Trying to
fetch a field that was just added to cache file may not have always
pigeonhole was updated to 0.5.2:
- Implement plugin for the a vendor-defined IMAP capability called
"FILTER=SIEVE". It adds the ability to manually invoke Sieve filtering
in IMAP. More information can be found in
- The Sieve addess test caused an assertion panic for invalid addresses
with UTF-8 codepoints in the localpart. Fixed by properly detecting
invalid addresses with UTF-8 codepoints in the localpart and skipping
these like other invalid addresses while iterating addresses for the
- Make the length of the subject header for the vacation response
configurable and enforce the limit in UTF-8 codepoints rather than
bytes. The subject header for a vacation response was statically
truncated to 256 bytes, which is too limited for multi-byte UTF-8
- Sieve editheader extension: Fix assertion panic occurring when it is
used to manipulate a message header with a very large header field.
- Properly abort execution of the sieve_discard script upon error.
Before, the LDA Sieve plugin attempted to execute the sieve_discard
script when an error occurs. This can lead to the message being lost.
- Fix the interaction between quota and the sieve_discard script. When
quota was used together with a sieve_discard script, the message
delivery did not bounce when the quota was exceeded.
- Fix crash for over quota users
To install this SUSE Security Update use the SUSE recommended installation methods
like YaST online_update or "zypper patch".
Alternatively you can run the command listed for your product:
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Module for Server Applications 15:
zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-Module-Server-Applications-15-2019-414=1
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Module for Server Applications 15 (aarch64 ppc64le s390x x86_64):
More information about the sle-updates