SUSE-SU-2026:4239-1: important: Security update for libpcap

SLE-UPDATES null at suse.de
Thu Sep 17 16:34:21 UTC 2026


# Security update for libpcap

Announcement ID: SUSE-SU-2026:4239-1  
Release Date: 2026-09-17T11:48:13Z  
Rating: important  
References:

  * bsc#1279584
  * bsc#1279588
  * bsc#1279593
  * bsc#1279595
  * bsc#1279782
  * bsc#1279783

  
Cross-References:

  * CVE-2026-0799
  * CVE-2026-18238
  * CVE-2026-31911
  * CVE-2026-31912
  * CVE-2026-6244
  * CVE-2026-6554

  
CVSS scores:

  * CVE-2026-0799 ( SUSE ):  8.7
    CVSS:4.0/AV:N/AC:L/AT:N/PR:L/UI:N/VC:H/VI:H/VA:H/SC:N/SI:N/SA:N
  * CVE-2026-0799 ( SUSE ):  8.8 CVSS:3.1/AV:N/AC:L/PR:L/UI:N/S:U/C:H/I:H/A:H
  * CVE-2026-0799 ( NVD ):  8.7 CVSS:3.1/AV:L/AC:L/PR:L/UI:N/S:C/C:L/I:H/A:H
  * CVE-2026-18238 ( SUSE ):  8.8
    CVSS:4.0/AV:N/AC:L/AT:N/PR:N/UI:N/VC:L/VI:N/VA:H/SC:N/SI:N/SA:N
  * CVE-2026-18238 ( SUSE ):  8.2 CVSS:3.1/AV:N/AC:L/PR:N/UI:N/S:U/C:L/I:N/A:H
  * CVE-2026-18238 ( NVD ):  5.0 CVSS:3.1/AV:N/AC:L/PR:L/UI:N/S:C/C:L/I:N/A:N
  * CVE-2026-31911 ( SUSE ):  5.1
    CVSS:4.0/AV:L/AC:L/AT:N/PR:L/UI:P/VC:N/VI:N/VA:H/SC:N/SI:N/SA:N
  * CVE-2026-31911 ( SUSE ):  5.5 CVSS:3.1/AV:L/AC:L/PR:L/UI:N/S:U/C:N/I:N/A:H
  * CVE-2026-31911 ( NVD ):  5.5 CVSS:3.1/AV:L/AC:L/PR:L/UI:N/S:U/C:N/I:N/A:H
  * CVE-2026-31912 ( SUSE ):  5.1
    CVSS:4.0/AV:L/AC:L/AT:N/PR:L/UI:P/VC:N/VI:N/VA:H/SC:N/SI:N/SA:N
  * CVE-2026-31912 ( SUSE ):  5.5 CVSS:3.1/AV:L/AC:L/PR:L/UI:N/S:U/C:N/I:N/A:H
  * CVE-2026-31912 ( NVD ):  5.5 CVSS:3.1/AV:L/AC:L/PR:L/UI:N/S:U/C:N/I:N/A:H
  * CVE-2026-6244 ( SUSE ):  4.1
    CVSS:4.0/AV:L/AC:L/AT:P/PR:L/UI:P/VC:N/VI:N/VA:H/SC:N/SI:N/SA:N
  * CVE-2026-6244 ( SUSE ):  5.5 CVSS:3.1/AV:L/AC:L/PR:L/UI:N/S:U/C:N/I:N/A:H
  * CVE-2026-6244 ( NVD ):  5.5 CVSS:3.1/AV:L/AC:L/PR:L/UI:N/S:U/C:N/I:N/A:H
  * CVE-2026-6554 ( SUSE ):  2.4
    CVSS:4.0/AV:L/AC:L/AT:N/PR:L/UI:A/VC:N/VI:N/VA:L/SC:N/SI:N/SA:N
  * CVE-2026-6554 ( SUSE ):  3.3 CVSS:3.1/AV:L/AC:L/PR:L/UI:N/S:U/C:N/I:N/A:L
  * CVE-2026-6554 ( NVD ):  5.5 CVSS:3.1/AV:L/AC:L/PR:L/UI:N/S:U/C:N/I:N/A:H

  
Affected Products:

  * SUSE Linux Enterprise High Performance Computing 12 SP5
  * SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP5
  * SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP5 LTSS
  * SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP5 LTSS Extended Security
  * SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP Applications 12 SP5

  
  
An update that solves six vulnerabilities can now be installed.

## Description:

This update for libpcap fixes the following issues:

  * CVE-2026-0799: the BPF interpreter does not validate values in BPF
    instructions that load/store a value from/to a scratch memory register and
    allows for OOB access (bsc#1279782).
  * CVE-2026-6244: libpcap BPF interpreter for the 'div #k' and 'mod #k' ALU
    instructions does not check whether the immediate value is zero. In
    particular uncommon use cases a crafted filter program can cause a division
    by zero (bsc#1279595).
  * CVE-2026-6554: libpcap BPF interpreter treats the offset in the 'ja L' BPF
    instruction implements looping via backward jumps, but it does not limit the
    number of loop iterations. Can cause infinite loop (bsc#1279584).
  * CVE-2026-18238: `rpcap` client code that processes a `RPCAP_MSG_PACKET`
    message received from the server incorrectly validates its headers and
    allows for an OOB access (bsc#1279783).
  * CVE-2026-31911: libpcap BPF interpreter calls abort() if it encounters a BPF
    instruction that has an invalid opcode. In particular uncommon use cases a
    crafted filter program can terminate the OS process (bsc#1279588).
  * CVE-2026-31912: libpcap BPF interpreter detects neither reaching the end of
    the filter program buffer due to lack of a return instruction nor executing
    a jump instruction with an offset that translates to a pointer outside of
    the buff (bsc#1279593).

## Patch Instructions:

To install this SUSE update use the SUSE recommended installation methods like
YaST online_update or "zypper patch".  
Alternatively you can run the command listed for your product:

  * SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP5 LTSS  
    zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-SERVER-12-SP5-LTSS-2026-4239

  * SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP5 LTSS Extended Security  
    zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-SERVER-12-SP5-LTSS-EXTENDED-SECURITY-2026-4239

## Package List:

  * SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP5 LTSS (aarch64 ppc64le s390x x86_64)
    * libpcap1-1.8.1-10.12.1
    * libpcap1-debuginfo-1.8.1-10.12.1
    * libpcap-debugsource-1.8.1-10.12.1
    * libpcap-devel-1.8.1-10.12.1
  * SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP5 LTSS Extended Security (x86_64)
    * libpcap1-1.8.1-10.12.1
    * libpcap1-debuginfo-1.8.1-10.12.1
    * libpcap-debugsource-1.8.1-10.12.1
    * libpcap-devel-1.8.1-10.12.1

## References:

  * https://www.suse.com/security/cve/CVE-2026-0799.html
  * https://www.suse.com/security/cve/CVE-2026-18238.html
  * https://www.suse.com/security/cve/CVE-2026-31911.html
  * https://www.suse.com/security/cve/CVE-2026-31912.html
  * https://www.suse.com/security/cve/CVE-2026-6244.html
  * https://www.suse.com/security/cve/CVE-2026-6554.html
  * https://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1279584
  * https://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1279588
  * https://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1279593
  * https://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1279595
  * https://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1279782
  * https://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1279783

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://lists.suse.com/pipermail/sle-updates/attachments/20260917/73cd656a/attachment.htm>


More information about the sle-updates mailing list