[Deepsea-users] install calamari

Tim Serong tserong at suse.com
Mon Jan 9 19:58:13 MST 2017

On 01/09/2017 10:51 PM, Bo Jin wrote:
> Hi,
> I deployed a ceph cluster using ses4 deepsea. Now I want to install
> calamari on the master server. I did it but if I open calamari web
> interface it still asks me to use ceph-deploy to all cluster nodes in
> order to get information about cluster and nodes.
>
> But I thought if calamari is using salt and deepsea already deployed
> salt to the cluster nodes and minions why shouldn't calamari just pick
> up the minion information?

Calamari includes some salt state files which set up a scheduled job on
the ceph nodes to check cluster status.  That's how it knows there's a
cluster, i.e. it's not enough for the minions to exist, if calamari's
ceph.heartbeat function isn't running properly, it won't realise the
cluster is there.  But, this should have all been set up automatically.

Here's some things to check:

1) Make sure the salt state files included in the calamari-server
package haven't been edited or mangled by something else.  Run `rpm -q
--verify calamari-server` - if this gives no output, you're good.  If it
shows any of the files in /srv/salt or /srv/reactor as having been
changed somehow, that might be the source of the problem.

2) Run `salt '*' state.highstate` on the master and see if that fixes it
(maybe the salt state included with calamari-server simply wasn't
applied yet somehow?)

3) Make sure the ceph client admin keyring
(/etc/ceph/ceph.client.admin.keyring) is installed on all the MON nodes
.  Calamari's ceph.heartbeat function won't give proper cluster state if
this is not present.

4) Try `salt '*' ceph.get_heartbeats --output json` on the master and
see if you get a blob of cluster status information.

> Next question is: I installed openattic on a separate node which is not
> salt master. It works so far excep "node" tab in openattic UI. Someone
> told me that for node view openattic must be running on salt master.
> So how should openattic and calamari co-exist in a such environment? Or
> what is a best practice to have calamari running in parallel to openattic?

You could give salt-master a second IP address, and tweak
/etc/apache2/conf.d/calamari.conf so that calamari is only available on
that IP address.  For example, on one of my test systems:

- eth0 is 192.168.12.225
- eth0:0 is 192.168.12.226
- I edited /etc/apache2/conf.d/calamari.conf and changed
  <VirtualHost *:80> to <VirtualHost 192.168.12.226:80>
- Restart apache, and openATTIC is accessible on http://192.168.12.225/,
  calamari on http://192.168.12.226/

Regards,

Tim