[sle-beta] Beta3 post install software installation

Joe Doupnik jrd at netlab1.net
Wed Nov 29 12:21:27 MST 2017

     Here is a quick and only preliminary report about the SSL problem
which I reported a few days ago (included below).
     Two Beta 3 servers were built. One having OpenSSL v1.1 added and
experiencing problems, the second working.
     Inspection of /usr/lib64/libssl* shows the first (problem) server
has "libssl.so" symlinked to libssl.so.1.1. On the second server the
symlink is to libssl.so.1.0.0. Moments ago I manually shifted the
symlink on the first server to libssl.so.1.0.0 (which is present),
rebooted the machine, and did a quick zypper lu command. That failed
with the certificate errors. On the first machine zipper lu does work.
     Next I visited /etc/ssl on both machines. On the first, as noted
below, it was basically empty. On the second there are entries
ca-bundle.pem (which ought not appear there), certs (symlinked to
/var/lib/ca-certificates/pem, which is a mess), and private (empty).
This is markedly different than on previous SLES editions, and it is a
bit of a shambles.
     On my main SLES11 server I have Openssl v0.9.8 and v1.0.1g, and
both cohabit peacefully. I add or remove the -devel rpm to support the
proper kind when building apps.
     What I deduce thus far is asking to have Openssl v1.1 cohabit with
v1.0.2 results in moving the main library symlink (libssl.so) to  v1.1
(which is not what I asked it to do), and the installation process
became confused and decided to not even create the certificate store
(even if in that wrong place of /var/lib for gosh sakes). No certs, no
service, as we might say. Populating the "private" directory with my
formal certs failed with a no CA Cert error popup which we can now
understand that from the flinging of what was in /etc/ssl/certs  into
instead the distant /var/lib swamp (so, if doing that then why bother
with having an /etc/ssl directory?).
     In my view, the /etc/ssl construction prior to SLES15 is superior,
clear, manageable, and what we have wired into our applications. Putting
things in /var/lib is not good. Then, relying on (changing) symlinks in
/etc/ssl is to further confuse an important area.  The YaST/installation
part of things needs attention. The prior construction of /etc/ssl is
organized for managers of the machines, and /var/lib is a large
collecting ground for much other "stuff." I recommend we return to the
safe and sane way of storing certificates.
     Thanks,
     Joe D.