[sle-beta] : Migrating from SLE 15 SP0 to SLE 15 SP1

Waite, Dick (External) Dick.Waite at softwareag.com
Thu Dec 20 06:58:22 MST 2018

Grand End of Year,
Maybe I need a better check list before I try the migrations:

For SLES12 SP3 to SP4 this worked 99% of the time.

Check you have the correct reg_code installed, all the test so fae have been on x86_64, no s390x

run SUSEConnect --status-text and --list-ext and check it looked Okay
run zypper up to check there were no patches outstanding.
run zypper ls and lr to check they look Okay
run zypper ve to check it looked Okay
run zypper migration --query and check it looked Okay and there was a migration available.

then for me, "shutdown -h now" and take a VMware snapshot as a point of return.
After the re-ipl
run zypper migration --query just in case anything has changed.
run zypper migration

This for SLES12 worked 99% of the time

This for SLES15 has not worked on 5 different virtual machines. All the machines have been running application software and test for many months. They all pass the above checks, but they all fail to migrate to SP1 Beta1

Now this is Beta1 so I would expect some failures when running the Beta, but I'm not getting that far. In the beta for SLES15 SP0 I spent many months tiring to get from SLES12 to SLES15 but the SP0 does now work, so what check should I add before I migrate to find out what the issues are ?
Should one be looking in /etc/zypp/.... and checking "something" there ?
adding the -v to the zypper command, I expect that would give support more input but confuse the life out of me, I will use -v in 2019.

I'm going to Ireland for Christmas, back on the 3rd and looking forward to reading how I can do better and get SP0 to SP1

Wishing you all an Interesting and Healthy Christmas and a grand slide into 2019.

__R

Software AG – Sitz/Registered office: Uhlandstraße 12, 64297 Darmstadt, Germany – Registergericht/Commercial register: Darmstadt HRB 1562 - Vorstand/Management Board: Sanjay Brahmawar (Vorsitzender/Chairman), Dr. Wolfram Jost, John Schweitzer, Dr. Stefan Sigg, Arnd Zinnhardt; - Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr. Andreas Bereczky - http://www.softwareag.com