[sle-beta] UUDI not tested - Wrong Hostname updated --cleanup

Thorsten Kukuk kukuk at suse.de
Tue Mar 13 00:28:08 MDT 2018

On Tue, Mar 13, Waite, Dick (External) wrote:

> Last word and then I shut up...
>
> You can not update / write to a database / registry without any check that the caller is entitled to update / write that field. Even a Hostname check would be better that nothing. The  --cleanup option will be forgotten at some time by someone and then that lowly clone is going to update the SCC of a valuable Mother or maybe even a queen.

Again: the hostname is completly useless for this case in most environments.
Else: all other data used for registration got cloned by you and
is identical on both machines. So any check we can do would tell
us: this is the same machine as registered against SCC.

If you clone a machine, you have to remove all host specific data.
And this is not only the SCC registration stuff, this are also
machine-id, dbus ID, ssh host key, maschine specific certificates, ...
If you don't do that, bad thinks can happen, not only with registration.

  Thorsten