15.3 PRC: SE Linux Policy loading failed

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Sun May 16 18:21:51 UTC 2021

On Sun, May 16, 2021 at 12:25 PM Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk at suse.de> wrote:

> On Sun, May 16, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
>

> > > I assume you mean SLES 15 SP3 and not Leap 15.3?
> >
> > Yes, this is the SLE mailing list.
>
> But there is no SLE product with the version number 15.3!
>
> > > In short: as documented since a long time, SLES does not come with a SELinux
> > policy
> >
> > The release notes only states that 15.3 does support SELinux, it should
> > probably add a warning that it lacks default policies.
>
> 15.3 is openSUSE Leap.
>
> # grep VERSION= /etc/os-release
> # VERSION="15-SP3"
>
> Is it so difficult to use the correct version number to not confuse
> other people?
>
> I filled a bug for SLES 15 SP3 that the release notes are not correct.

While it is not commonly referenced that way in SUSE marketing, it is
accurate to call SUSE Linux Enterprise 15 SP3 as SUSE Linux Enterprise
15.3. After all, the machine-parseable name VERSION_ID value is set to
"15.3" because it's *sane* to handle it that way.

I personally wish we'd stop using the "service pack" terminology as
it's effectively pointless.