15.3 PRC: SE Linux Policy loading failed

Matthias G. Eckermann mge at suse.com
Sun May 16 20:51:23 UTC 2021

Hello Bernd, Neal, and all,

On 2021-05-16 T 18:09 +0000 Bernd Eckenfels wrote:

> The aproperiate answer to somebody giving you his spare time to test
> your beta product is not „you wrote my version number wrong“ but the
> correct answer is „thank you“.

agreed, and indeed we highly appreciate the time and efforts you are
investing to contribute to the quality of our products.

In that context we are also noticing that SELinux becomes more
relevant, specifically for the use case of container isolation. That's
why we support the SELinux stack in SUSE Linux Enterprise as a
platform, and an SELinux policy for SUSE Linux Enterprise Micro 5.0.

That said, and if your use case is different from container isolation,
Bernd, I'd appreciate a use case description, either publically or
privately (mge at suse.com) at your choice.

On 2021-05-16 T 14:21 -0400 Neal Gompa wrote:

> While it is not commonly referenced that way in SUSE marketing, it
> is accurate to call SUSE Linux Enterprise 15 SP3 as SUSE Linux
> Enterprise 15.3.

I am afraid, Neal, it is not: as you have seen in this case, referring
to "15.3" most SUSE employees will connect to openSUSE Leap, while for
SUSE Linux Enterprise we are only talking about "15 SP3", and this is
an explicit decision, and followed through very thoroughly.

Thus I recommend to stick to the "SPx" naming to avoid confusion, for
SUSE Linux Enterprise 12 and 15 products.

> After all, the machine-parseable name VERSION_ID value is set to
> "15.3" because it's *sane* to handle it that way.

<nitpick>
As you say, "machine-parseable", thus for machines, not for human
beings.
</nitpick>

However, ...

> I personally wish we'd stop using the "service pack" terminology as
> it's effectively pointless.

... I do not disagree that re-visiting the naming scheme for new
products is a good idea, and part of our work in product management.
Hint: it is called SUSE Linux Enterprise Micro 5.0 :-)

So long -
	MgE

--
Matthias G. Eckermann,     Head of Product Management Linux Platforms
SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH - Maxfeldstr. 5 - 90409 Nürnberg