[sles-beta] Vsftpd in the DVDs

Cruz, Kennie (HPC CoE) Kennie.Cruz at Honeywell.com
Tue Feb 19 09:56:17 MST 2013

I don't see why do we disagree. Except for compiling source vs installing a binary. Still a valid and good point.

Kennie Cruz
HPC System Engineer
High Performance Computing CoE

787-503-2704

From: sles-beta-bounces at lists.suse.com [sles-beta-bounces at lists.suse.com] on behalf of David Boyes [dboyes at sinenomine.net]
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 12:25 PM
To: SUSE Linux Enterprise Server Authorized Beta Program
Subject: Re: [sles-beta] Vsftpd in the DVDs

> I use SLED as my main desktop on daily basis (work). I do use an ftp daemon
> to share code, documents with peers that still rely on commercial UNIX
> systems. I find it faster than NFS/SMB.
> Still, you can get the sources and compile. I don't see a need for the binary to
> be part of the distro.

I disagree. For those of us who support non-Unix systems (yes, we're still here), FTP is still the universal transport, and we need to be able to move files from the large hosts to desktop systems for processing. Keep in mind also that many of the non-Unix boxes often are not permitted to accept incoming connections, so the server side has to be on the desktop.

I can see a case for not including the binary on the default install set, but it definitely should be available and supported.