[sles-beta] Vsftpd in the DVDs

David Boyes dboyes at sinenomine.net
Tue Feb 19 11:08:16 MST 2013

Both SLES and SLED share the same base code, so one can either grab the RPM binaries from SLES DVD and install them on SLED by hand, or even add SLES DVD as an installation source and install directly through YaST Software management.

Until/unless SuSE makes a formal statement that this is supported, you’re not going to be able to use that solution in a commercial environment. AFAIK, the formal support statement is still “don’t mix and match packages from different distributions”. SLES != SLED. Also, not all customers have both SLES and SLED.

It may work, but it violates the “one throat to choke” and “only vendor-supported binaries” principles.

In any case, we’re off topic. If we need to discuss this more, let’s take it off list.