[sles-beta] few things to note after my first install

Joe Doupnik jrd at netlab1.oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Feb 21 11:32:49 MST 2013

On 21/02/2013 18:11, Mike Marion wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 08:00:26AM +0000, Greg.Lehmann at csiro.au wrote:
>
>> 1.       No ability to install from USB flash drive - optical media is a bit
>> old hat - hopefully this will be an option for SLES 12
> A lot of us probably think that installing off media vs a network (usually via
> PXE) is old hat. :P
     Yes yes, but that does not solve the problem at hand.
     There are likely BIOS settings which can be used to solve it. A
person at my place had this trouble with a new Dell box plus a minor
brand X Linux distribution. BIOS tinkering did not help, much.
Retreating to an earlier distribution did the trick. Thus nuances,
particularly with today's hardware, are worth exploring and reporting to
the group. It's part of our <volunteer> job description, to detect
problems before the final customer does.
     Joe D.