[sles-beta] few things to note after my first install

Mike Marion mmarion at qualcomm.com
Thu Feb 21 11:11:36 MST 2013

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 08:00:26AM +0000, Greg.Lehmann at csiro.au wrote:

> 1.       No ability to install from USB flash drive - optical media is a bit
> old hat - hopefully this will be an option for SLES 12

A lot of us probably think that installing off media vs a network (usually via
PXE) is old hat. :P

> 6.       I'll probably only install x86_64 architecture as that is all we
> are installing these days. We still have some old i586 SLES installs around
> but only because we have not had time to upgrade them. I'd be interested in
> what the ratio of i586 to x86_64 installs is for new installs for
> information pulled from novell/center. How long before i586 is dropped? I'd
> rather see resource used on other things.

I'd be interested in the numbers myself.  I haven't even bothered making a
32bit image for awhile.  The few rare instances where our engineers swear they
need 32bit are stuck in older vm instances only, and usually when we actually
pin them down, their stuff does work, using linux32 wrapping it at worst.

> 7.       I also noticed during my 2nd install (into virtualbox guest) that
> during registration I get a message about the installation media not being
> available, when it is. Clicking on retry seems to sort it. I am pretty sure
> this happened on the first install too.

When doing a rejump of a machine (using <partitioning_advacned> to reuse the
same disk layout, I see a "Failure to umount /var" message once or twice, but
then it eventually succeeds and continues.  Saw (still see actually) this in
SP2 too, but since it was basically a small annoyance, I never bothered to
put in any bug reports.

--
Mike Marion-Unix SysAdmin/Sr. Staff IT Engineer-http://www.qualcomm.com
SCSI is *NOT* magic. There are *fundamental technical reasons* why it is