[sles-beta] Vsftpd in the DVDs

Stefan Behlert behlert at suse.de
Mon Feb 25 05:06:46 MST 2013

On Feb 19, 13 15:46:55 +0000, jrd wrote:
> On 19/02/2013 15:35, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
[...]
> -------------
> 	I downloaded several huge .iso's this morning, SDK and SLED extras. Then I
> went looking for vsftpd. I did not see the source RPM, but as I commented I
> might have missed it or it is on yet another huge .iso which I did not
> download.
> 	Let me see, what is in my SLES/D 11 SP3 collection at the moment:
> SLE-11-SP3-SDK DVD1 and DVD2    3GB,7.7GB
> SLED-11-SP3 Media1 and Media2   4.5GB,8.9GB
> SLES-11-SP3 DVD1		3.3GB
> Plus HA material.  That's about 28GB plus HA.
>
> 	SLED is still a Linux box. It talks to other people, and other people are
> known to be willing to talk back. Owners of such devices are also known to
> use other machines from time to time and wish to put things on their SLED
> box. As the kitchen sink is also present then maybe small vsftpd could
> sneak in for those who need it.

I'm still digging through a week of backlog off mails after a week of
absence, so maybe someone has already answered it in a later mail. But
indepependent of that:

SLED has pure-ftpd in the package list, which is a lightweight and fast FTP
server. It has not vsftpd in the list, as SLES in addition to that has, but
Product Management felt in the past that one ftp server on the desktop is
enough.
Looking at the huge amount of applications on the Desktop I would rather
restrain to one ftp server than having two on the media. Personally, I am
fine with either of these two, but as the decision in the past was to use
pure-ftpd I would expect good arguments if we change this in a Service
Pack.

        ciao,
          Stefan

--
Stefan Behlert, SUSE LINUX
Project Manager Enterprise Desktop

Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409 Nuernberg, Germany
Phone +49-911-74053-173
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Nuernberg; GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendoerffer, HRB 16746 (AG Nuernberg)