[sles-beta] Issues I saw after several installs and some configuration

Klaus Gmeinwieser Klaus.Gmeinwieser at oce.com
Thu Feb 28 07:48:21 MST 2013

Hello all,

I did several installs/updates of Beta 1 on about 5 servers.

The installation itself works smooth on every Fujitsu TX server I tried
(TX150 / TX300 SAS systems) also for installation on ESX4/5 systems as
guest.

Upgrades from installed SP2 to SP3 Beta1 also works seamlessly.

Very good :)

But I found some minor but annoying issues:

- in KDE Control Center, configuration of the Screen Saver is not
possible as the Control Center crashes immediately (100% reproducible)

- The "KDE Root Shell" Icon in the KDE Menu does not work as I always
get a regular user shell instead of a "root shell"

- the Midnight Commander does not open rpm,zip or jar files correctly
(as it was with SLES10). Files with type tar.gz works.

- XDMCP access to the server is not possible with Xmanager2 (will only
get unuseable graphical screen). But access with Xephyr from a Linux box
is okay.

Not minor:

Most annoying issue was impossible unattended installation of my rack
systems connected to a Fujitsu KVM s4-1622. This KVM is emulating USB
remote storage and YaST wants to install the system on this USB media if
using "autoyast=usb" to import the control file from a USB media.

The only possibility to get SLES installed is to disconnect the switch
and to directly connect keyboard and mouse and to use a workaround to
connect the USB stick earliest after YaST asks for it.

My HP DL380G6 is not available at the moment to see, if the graphics
card issue of SP2 with ES1000 onboard adapter is solved, maybe somebody
tried on this hardware???

Beste Grüße
Klaus

This message and attachment(s) are intended solely for use by the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law.

If you are not the intended recipient or agent thereof responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone and with a 'reply' message.

Thank you for your co-operation.