[sles-beta] Antwort: Re: Old freeradius-server 2.1.1

Greg.Lehmann at csiro.au Greg.Lehmann at csiro.au
Thu Feb 28 19:02:57 MST 2013

Hi Matthias,
     Thanks for your explanation. To clarify my SP 6 month statement:

If we installed a server with SLES 11 SP1, on the day it came out, we would get patches for it until 6 months after SP2 came out. At that point we are forced to upgrade to SP2 to continue getting patches. We don't want to pay extra for extended support. It's nice you have it, but is not an option for us. The installation of an SP is a maintenance overhead that requires significant manual intervention and system administrator time. For a lot of our servers we want to be able to install it and leave it untouched except for monitoring for its life. We want patches to keep going onto it for its life. We want that life to be long, particularly since in the virtual world we don't have hardware refresh issues as far as the guest operating systems are concerned.

Maybe think of a Ubuntu LTS release as the SLES 11 GA release, but they keep supplying patches for it until the next LTS release (in your case SLES 12 GA.) They have 6 monthly releases in between LTS releases which might be similar to an SP update. The one other thing Ubuntu does is provide a driver update to the LTS release so you can actually install it on new hardware as it comes along.

I am not suggesting you adopt Ubuntu's model, just saying it is an example of a model that fits my requirements better than the current model you offer. I have outlined the reasons above. Because of the current model I am recommending people install Ubuntu instead of SLES in my organisation, unless there is a reason for SLES specifically. I actually personally prefer SLES but it is too labour intensive for us at present.

Regards,

Greg Lehmann