[sles-beta] Kernel Update SP2 > SP3

Daniel Rahn drahn at suse.com
Wed Jul 3 05:07:09 MDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 03, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
> The extra channel is only for mirgration for a short time,
> you shouldn't use packages from it long term.

I beg to differ.

The extra channel is always available and contains packages for the
major release, alas it contains packages for SP2 and will in future also
contain packages for SP3. It is not split per SP level.

We deliver unsupported packages via that channel, especially as outlined
by Günter the kernel-$flavor-extra package (and some others as openmotif,
yum and the ext4-writeable KMP for SP2).

The problem is that when a user installed kernel-$flavor-extra on SP2,
an upgrade to SP3 will not work correctly as we have not filled the
matching SP3 packages into that channel yet.

-Daniel

--
Daniel Rahn (ダニエル・ラーン), Senior Tech. Account Manager
Product Management, SUSE LINUX Products GmbH