[sles-beta] Results, testing on SLES11-SP3 GMC x86_64

Klaus Gmeinwieser Klaus.Gmeinwieser at oce.com
Thu Jun 13 03:16:02 MDT 2013

Hi all,

I did more extensive testing on the x86_64 GMC with Fujitsu and also for
some HP hardware.

The installation on most system is smooth without any issues,
Installation and running our Application (also with Japanese language
settings!) works fine.

I also tested a subest of file transfer protocols without any issue
(Will be continued...)

But I have seen two issues, which I would like to ask for:

We install the Infiniband packages (ibutils, oder, opensm + automatic
dependencies) regardless if such a card is install in the system. On
some systems I get messages on the "boot screen" which indicates the ib0
and ib1 interface failed for configuration (correct, as no Infinibad
adapter is installed). But also I have different servers - also without
such an adapter - which did not log this kind of message. This also
happens on SP2, I have also seen the message, but was not yet aware that
it is sometime not present even if no card is built in. How is the
creation of the files ifcfg-ib0/1 triggered by the YaST or package
installer"? This would help for my analysis of this issue.

Next issue was for a test on a HP Rack installation:

No GUI after SLES11 SP3 x86_64 install when attached monitor to a KVM.
Hardware is a HP DL380p G8 server, HP LA2405wg monitor, HP IP Server
Console Switch (KVM) AF616A. SLES10 SP4 x86 and SLES11 SP2 x86_64 work
fine with same hardware. Install of SLES11 SP3 x86_64 completes, the
monitor displays "Input out of range. Change settings to 1920x1200".

HP Support says this is OS problem and won't help. Note: There is no
problem if this monitor is direct connected to the server. I use
autoyast for install, but the same problem occurs if manual install is
performed.

Server Details:
embedded graphics is Matrox G200 eH
driver is : XFree86 v4 Server Module: mga

Workarounds I've found are:
1) overwrite xorg.conf with xorg.conf.install, reset X, then use sax2 to
select higher resolution (highest modeline in xorg.conf.install is
800x600 - there are no modelines in xorg.conf)
2) put this monitor's vert and horiz sync info into <x11> tag of
autoyast file - but this is not practical as automatic detection of the
monitor is required to use one autoyast file for all monitors connected.

A SP3 upgrade on a working SP2 installation that had 1280x1024
resolution (ML350p G8) works fine.  The failure is only with new
installs of SP3 on this configuration.

Thanks to all for the good work!!

Regards
Klaus

--
Klaus Gmeinwieser

email: klaus.gmeinwieser at oce.com
voice: +49 8121 72 4358

Océ Printing Systems GmbH - A Canon Group Company

This message and attachment(s) are intended solely for use by the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law.

If you are not the intended recipient or agent thereof responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone and with a 'reply' message.

Thank you for your co-operation.