[sles-beta] Question concerning IPv6

Matthias G. Eckermann mge at suse.com
Thu Mar 28 04:31:22 MDT 2013

Hello Urs and all,

On 2013-03-27 T 16:45 +0000 urs.frey at post.ch wrote:

> As IPv6 becomes more and more important I wonder if
> there is also an IPv6 implementation within autoyast.  I
> mean we here do have already IPv6 implemented in the
> Network Access DMZ.  But IPv6 configuration has to be
> done using Shell scripts
>
> I googled a bit and got stuck, because I could not
> really find a solution, where I can place the IPv6
> address directly in my autoyast.xml
> http://users.suse.com/~ug/ Some solutions propose a
> shell script to configure IPv6 in my ifcfg-eth0
>
> Does somebody have experience with IPv6 LAN
> configuration when doing automated setup with autoyast?
>
> Are there SuSE plans concerning IPv6 full implementation
> in SLES autoyast? Maybe SLES12?
>
> Thank you very much for your feedback

while we have put IPv6 compatibility high on our agenda,
and have achieved the "pole position" of Linux
Distributions (not to say Operating Systems:-) in terms of
IPv6 compliance (search for vendor "Novell"):
	https://www.iol.unh.edu/services/testing/ipv6/usgv6tested.php
and even if I remember discussions about improving linuxrc
(that's what is running in the initrd) to become IPv6
compliant, we might have a gap in AutoYaST, meaning that
the YaST2-network module is fully IPv6 aware, but the
AutoYaST schema is not. I am not sure, how quickly this
can be resolved.

Nevertheless, please open an SR and let's take it from there.

Thanks for finding!

As a sidenote: tomorrow (Friday, 2013-03-29) and on Monday
(2013-04-01) are public holidays in Germany and other
countries. Expect delays in answers from SUSE people.

Happy Easter!

so long -
	MgE

--
Matthias G. Eckermann     Senior Product Manager   SUSE® Linux Enterprise
Phone: +49 30 44315731    Mobile: +49 179 2949448    E-Mail: mge at suse.com